BITTORRENT GUIDE

Steve

Trick asked me to write a guide for him to use on his website. I finished it earlier so I thought I'd put it up here too. If you don't know how to use Azureus or BitTorrent, then check it out cos you're missing out on downloading a lot of stuff: -

I put it up as a web page. Hopefully it displays OK but if it doesn't please PM me so I can fix it!

It's dead simple to use. In that guide I go into enough detail you need to get Azureus running nicely. There are so many torrents floating around on the net that it makes most other file sharing stuff unnecessary. I still use Soulseek for music now and again, but everything else comes from Suprnova.

I don't actually know. Hehe. I pmed him the guide and he pmed me back asking if I wanted to have some links on his site in return. It was quite late though so I assume he'll do it tomorrow. I'm guessing it'll be mrtrick.net as it doesn't really fit in with any of his others.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I didn't see this fast enough, but what I've gotten from looking around is, just search though the torrent sites, find one, download that. Then, once you have the torrent file downloaded, you just download the actual torrent with BitTorrent. I've done that with the Madlib one mattnice put up for me, but it's yet to move forward at all. And as I was typing the last sentence, it turned yellow, which it says means it's stalled. Any tips for me? I think I'm doing it right. Is the thing just to wait now?

That torrent is dead mate.

When you visit a torrent site and pick out a file you want to download, pay attention to the number of seeds and peers. If you use Mininova for example, seeds are shown in green and peers (or leechers) are shown in blue.

Seed = somebody who is sharing the complete file.

Peer/leecher = somebody who is still downloading the file.

In order of preference, you should pick torrents like this: -

1. A decent amount of seeds & peers (Perfect!)

2. Some seeds, 0 peers (OK!)

3. 0 seeds, some peers (May never complete)

4. 0 seeds, 0 peers (Torrent is dead)

Only go with 3 or 4 if it's a particularly sought after file that you can't get anywhere else as it may never complete (or even start for that matter).

• 1 month later...