Review: Tascam XS-8

Max

Review: Tascam XS-8 Mixerby DJ Stickey

FadersAll three faders in the XS-8 are Ecler Pro faders. These are the same faders that are used in the Ecler HAK 320, and for the line faders in the HAK 360. With all three faders being the same, they can easily be swapped. This allows you to rotate them so that you don’t get excessive wear on any particular one. The faders themselves are slightly difficult to maintain. They have prongs on the underside of their metal casing that attach to the bottom of the base PCB, meaning that they each have to be pried back with a small screwdriver in order to open the fader. This is a laborious task, and you risk injuring the contact strips and prongs of the fader. The feel of the fader is light, but stable. Straight out of the box, it feels like a substantial Gemini fader. Well oiled, it approaches FFv1 in smoothness, but isn’t nearly as light. The cut-in time is approximately 1-2.5mm. There is a distinct click when the fader hits the side of the faceplate, but it isn’t a loud, metallic click like Vestax faders tend to have. The faders themselves are quite cheap to replace, and should last a considerable amount of time with proper maintenance. Each is reversible and curve-adjustable. There is also a “program reverse” function for reversing the channels.

Transform SwitchesThe XS-8 has separate switches for line/phono and “transform,” with the transform switches located in their usual place above the line faders. They are moved to the side as opposed to being directly above the line faders so that they aren’t at risk of being hit by a hand on the fader. They are quite heavy, however, and produce considerable “popping” when transforming with them. In order to use them cleanly, they require significant modification.

EQ’sThe XS-8 features a full range of +10db EQ’s (i.e. low, mid, and hi), and also kill functions when the knobs are turned all the way down. The trim is significantly powerful, but as with any trim or gain function, can produce clipping.

Headphones/MonitorThe headphone amplifier is quite loud, and in any studio setting is never turned up even half-way. The mixer has both master and cue functions for the headphone/monitor output, and of course, “program” selection as all mixers do. In the master setting, the sound is slightly dampened.

PansThe XS-8 has smooth, lateral panning faders for each channel.

Inputs/OutputsThe mixer features an extremely wide range of connectivity options. It has standard RCA inputs for two phono channels and two line channels, as well as an auxiliary “external input.” The primary master out is a set of gold-plated RCA outputs. The secondary master out is XLR (a fantastic option for professional-sounding use of the mixer). The XS-8 has separate volume control for the primary and secondary master outputs. There is also a separate record output, an effects send output, 2 ¼” foot switch inputs, and an effects/session loop. There is a standard microphone input, with +10db low and hi eq’s and a level control.

Effects/SessionThe XS-8 has a standard, but very nice effects/session loop. Effects on/off buttons are easy to use and easy to read, with a two-position button that toggles a red light when the effects are active. The effects are separate for each channel, with toggle buttons located below the eq’s on both sides of the mixer. The knob control for the effects/session goes between min/max to control the effects mix or session level.

OverviewThe XS-8 is a fantastic choice for anyone seeking an affordable, yet very professional mixer. The mixer is solid, has a clean layout, and the faceplate doesn’t scratch or wear easily. Such a wide range of professional connectivity options make it ideal for a studio or live setting. This is the ideal budget mixer. They sell for approximately $150 USD.

http://www.soundslive.co.uk/images/tascxs8.jpg

• Like 1

I do! I'm gonna get rid of my Ecler soon. I need something with more features.

One question - My Ecler Hak 310 has a built in power supply that switches voltage automatically so you can just plug it in wherever and use it. Does the XS-8 have that? If so, I'm gonna get one shipped over from the US and sell the Ecler on eBay.

The effects/session loop does two things: 1)It allows you to eaily daisy chain the mixer with others for sessioning. 2) It allows you to run the signal through an effects processor. The effects/session knob controls how strong the effect is, and the toggle switches on the left and right channels allow you to use effects on either or both lines.